Oatmeal is one of those quick and cheap meals and we happen to eat quite a bit of it around here so baked oatmeal is a nice twist to what can become a very boring meal, very quickly. 🙂
On our last co-op order, I had added some thick, rolled oats to the list. Typically, we use quick oats but I thought the extra thick might be better with the never ending hollow legs around here. Unfortunately, the thick oats do not cook as quickly as the quick cooking oats, but… they work very nicely in baked oatmeal!
[Tweet ” Baked Blueberry Oatmeal – a simple yet delicious breakfast.”]
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbs butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Grease your pan (you can use a 9×13 for thinner squares or 8″ for thicker squares).
- Mix together your dry ingredients: oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- Next, in a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, half of the butter and vanilla.
- Sprinkle half the berries into the bottom of your prepared pan. Next, add the dry oats mixture.
- Carefully pour the milk mixture over the oats. Make sure the mixture is all evened out in the bottom of the pan.
- Add the remainder of the berries and top off with the remainder butter
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the top is a nice golden color. Remove and let cool for a few minutes. Slice up, drizzle each serving with a little bit of butter and serve. You can also add some milk to the bowl. 🙂
I love the versatility of this recipe. We have not only made this with the blueberries but we love it with apples and cinnamon (just add a bit more to the recipe), strawberries and cream and my absolute favorite… peaches and cream. Basically, use any fruit that bakes well and is in season.