As we enter autumn, I always look forward to the shift in weather, the vibrant colors as leaves changes, the cozy evenings in front of the fireplace, Thanksgiving and Christmas, and all things pumpkin and apple. Even though I’m not a fan of the famous pumpkin spice coffees, I do love a delicious, moist, pumpkin dessert. There is something about the fragrance of the spices mixed with pumpkin warming in the oven that I love.
Some of my favorite memories are curling up on the couch with the family, enjoying a cup of hot apple cider, coffee, or hot chocolate, with a slice of a delicious fall flavor dessert, and enjoying a good book or movie. Do you have a favorite fall memory or fall-inspired dessert?
When it comes to fall flavors, pumpkin is pretty much where it’s at and this moist, pumpkin bar dessert won’t disappoint! Not to mention your house will smell amazing while this bakes away in the oven! I love this recipe for its simplicity and the fact that it can be made days in advance if necessary. The cooling time takes the longest and if you’re skipping the cream cheese frosting, you don’t have to wait as long but honestly, the cream cheese frosting really tops these bars off so my recommendation is… don’t skip the frosting. You won’t regret it.Super moist #pumpkin bars #fallflavors #frugalliving #pumpkindesserts Click To Tweet
I like to make these pumpkin bars in a half-sheet pan. The bars come out at the perfect thickness. However, you can make them in a 9 x 13 but you might need to adjust the baking time a little. And if you’re looking for a great dessert to take to a fall-themed party, these are the perfect ones.
Moist Pumpkin Bar Dessert with Cream Cheese Frosting
Moist Pumpkin Bar Dessert
2 c. granulated sugar
1 c. vegetable oil or coconut oil
1 can (15oz) pumpkin or 2 cups home-frozen pumpkin, thawed (what I used)
2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
2 t. baking powder
2 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. ground cloves
1 pkg (3oz) cream cheese, softened
1/3 c. butter, softened
1 t. vanilla
2 c. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease the bottoms and sides of a 15 x 10 x 1-inch pan or a 9 x 13 pan (for more of a cake size) with shortening.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, oil, and pumpkin until smooth.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, ginger, and cloves. Spread the batter in your prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown (if you’re using your own frozen pumpkin, you might need to bake it a little longer as sometimes home-frozen pumpkin can be a bit more watery).
- Cool the bars completely while still in the pan (approx. 2 hours).
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until smooth. Gradually add in and beat the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until smooth and spreadable.
- Frost the bars and top with a light cinnamon or nutmeg dusting (if desired). Place in the refrigerator until firm. Cut the bars to the desired size. Store in refrigerator.