We love tortillas and homemade are so yummy. Making tortillas is fairly easy but can be a bit time consuming so I try to make a fairly large batch and freeze. Once your dough is made, you’ll want to cover it with a damp cloth or paper towel.
Pinch off a ball (about the size of a golf ball or a little larger). My tortilla press is a 8″ press but if you have a larger press, you’ll want to pinch off a larger ball. If you don’t have a press, you can use a rolling pin, it will just take longer.
If you notice the cut ziploc on my press, that was a hint from the makers of the tortilla press. They suggest you spray your press with a little bit of oil and place two pieces of plastic between the two sides of the press. If you use a ziploc bag, it’s easier. Lay it on your press and draw a line around it to fit the size of your press. Start cutting where the seam is so you can leave the bag attached at one end instead of dealing with two separate pieces of plastic. Place the cut bag on the press and grease the inside of it once again. The grease on the press itself will help the bag stick and the grease inside the bag will help keep the tortilla dough from sticking to the bag.
When I bought my press, I also bought a cast iron skillet. I love the way the tortillas cook on the skillet verses my other pans but you don’t have to use a cast iron.
I often double the following recipe.
- 4 c. Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 T. Baking Powder
- 2 T. Olive Oil
- 2 t. Salt
- 2 c. Warm Milk
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, oil, salt and backing powder.
- Add in mix and mix.
- If the dough is still really sticky, add in more flour.
- Knead dough for several minutes until it is just slightly sticky.
- Pinch off golf ball size or larger and either roll out or use a tortilla press.
- Lightly grease pan and cook both sides of tortilla.
- Use right away or store in a ziploc in fridge.
- These can be frozen once cooked. They don’t last long around here so I don’t know how long you can freeze them.
These are the products I used. I purchased them from Amazon and have been very happy with them.